Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Discovered new trails! (and already an injury)



One of my favorite things in Mid Mo so far are 13.5 miles of great trails about 10 minutes from my house. They can be steep, twisting, and rocky. I may not have mountains, but at least I can find some refuge climbing steep hills along pine groves and creeks.

Pavement bores me. Treadmills are just pointless. I lift at my local YMCA, but I don't understand the dozens of folks who are plodding along on the rows of treadmills burning a mere few hundred calories an hour while staring at the cieling-mounted TVs. Better than vegging on the couch, I guess, but seriously. I want to RUN, and collapse into my couch dripping and shaking after an hour pushing for a personal best with the domed sky above me and no one in sight.

Anyway, trails have their disadvantages. Especially in fall, when roots and rocks are disguised by leaves... no match for a weak right ankle. Ouch. Roll & pop.

At least I have a paper shredder under my desk that can double as elevation when I R.I.C.E. I am going to try and stay off the trails for a week.

We'll see if I can take it...

No comments: