Sunday, February 3, 2008

Yes, this is a canoe!



Although most people who paddle the 39-gallon Skip are sitting on their butts, this boat converts easily into a C1 if you install a pedestal instead of a seat. Just like my race boat, I am on my knees and using a single-bladed paddle.

This tiny playboat feels radically different compared to any other canoe I have ever been in! The short, low-volume ends mean I can really throw the boat around. Right now I don't have much control, so in the pool I was playing, flipping end over end with my bow or stern pointing up towards the ceiling and almost always landing upside down. It was easy to roll up, but at least half the time I would propel myself past the balance point and flip over to the other side. Fun stuff.

Another Skip was my first true love as a kayak. I borrowed it from a friend, and I swam out of it repeatedly on my first few river runs. I was quickly drawn to canoes and long, sleek slalom boats -- but the funny, little playboat remained a favorite. My family called it "tiggerfish" because it clearly liked to bounce around (not to mention the bright orange color). I sent it back to my friend once I was able to buy a boat of my own (the EZ). Now, a year later, I discovered another friend had a Skip that wasn't seeing much use. Except this time the hull was set up as a canoe! Excellent! I promised to give it some love an return it better outfitted than it was before, and drove back to St. Louis with it on my roof.

I think this boat will be great for my training. I rarely have access to much whitewater, so a boat this small will test my balance in other ways. Goofing around and learning tricks will teach me rotation and power. And being upside down so often will hopefully lock in my roll as a immediate, reflexive response.

This is going to be fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Laura,
Great web site with lots of color and personality. It's so compelling, and reflects all your gifts of magic.

My best,

Dad