Sunday, January 27, 2008

Pool Slalom



The C1W time to beat was set by Carolyn Peterson in Texas in 2001, 114.2 (open age class). My fastest raw time (w/o penalties) was just over 115 -- although I did touch three gates giving me an overall time of just over 121. Pool slalom records are online here. The C1W record is 132% of the men's record of 86.1 set by Davey Hearn in 1998.

The event was hosted by the Missouri Whitewater Association this morning. In the event, 5 gates are hung over an ordinary pool. Each racer has to do three laps, with a specific pattern of upstream turns, s-turns, and offsets (diagram of the course here). Because it is the one slalom event that has a exact, reproducible course it is also the only event where it is possible to compare times nationally and track records. I raced C1W, C2W, K1W, and OC1W, although I obviously focused my energy on my C1 runs.

It was a good day. I still feel sloppy and slow at times, but my progress has been consistent. Events like this help me to see it. I am looking forward to racing on whitewater next month!

Thank you to all the MWA members who
volunteered to set up and run the event!

No comments: