Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Duct Tape Hull Repair, Take 3



Once dessert was baking in the oven, the C1 was brought up to the living room for its long overdue re-taping. You see, I haven't been in my boat in almost a week. Time to eliminate my excuse and get back on the water.

We pulled the last duct tape job off to thoroughly investigate the damage. I knew where it was leaking, but wanted to know how much of the structure was gone at those spots. The stern and bow are in pretty sorry shape, as is the cockpit rim in several sections. There are also two cracks in the hull, about 3 feet back from the cockpit.

Photos of the damage are online here.

My duct tape technique is improving. Who needs carbon fiber, right? First, I put on a layer of tape to seal off the hole & provide some structure. Plastic knives work wonders for bracing sections of cracked cockpit rim. I then use a plastic bag (Ziploc heavy-duty freezer bags are awesome) cut to size over the damage. They fit snugly over the bow and stern. I then add a second layer of tape over this, rubbing it on to ensure a good bond.



It is a lot of work for something I keep doing over & over again, but it’s worth it. When I took off the Mississippi after an hour session this morning, I didn’t even have a liter of water in the boat (normally I get a liter every 15 minutes). We’ll see how long this try holds up.

No comments: