Friday, March 21, 2008

Missouri Whitewater Championships



The Saint had water! With the gauge reading 6" on Saturday morning, a good crowd turned out despite the grey skies and threats of rain. We even had a full C1W class: Hailey drove down with her family from Wisconsin, and Colleen drove in from North Carolina.

I felt very relaxed at this race. I have been getting nervous before races on larger water, but the Saint feels like my home. I was calm and focused. My first run was wonderful... until I flipped and broke my paddle on a rock!

Although light, carbon fiber paddles are normally able to withstand serious rock abuse. I checked my paddle on a flight to Charlotte earlier this month, however, and I worry it got a little banged up. Either way, I went to do a lightening-quick roll, and suddenly I had two pieces in my hands. I swam out of my boat, laughing.

Fortunately, the MWA takes your best run as your final score, as opposed to combining your times. This meant I was able to borrow a paddle from a friend (thanks, Brian!) and race again with a chance to place. I had a good second run, and ended up with 2nd.



Tomorrow and Sunday, the US Open will be on the Nantahala River. I am excited, but also feeling out of shape as I haven't been in my boat all week! I was in DC for work. This is a very tight course on fast moving water, and will be a huge challenge for me.

No comments: