Friday, March 7, 2008

paddle check



I touched down in foggy Charlotte at 10pm. I ended up checking my paddle. Although the consensus seemed to be paddles were simply carried on before 9/11, I assumed there was no way they would let it through security in the current climate. I wrapped it carefully in three layers of cardboard and handed it over to the ticket agent, fingers crossed that I would see it on the other side.

It made it though just fine. I was so happy to see it slide onto the baggage claim! Both my boat and my paddle are like extensions of my body -- and since I won't be training in my regular boat this weekend, I really wanted to have my own paddle here.

I am excited and nervous about training tomorrow. Whitewater always energizes me, and it will be fun to watch members of the US team practice in the morning before I put on mid-day. But I also need to decide soon if I will be ready to race on the Charlotte course at the end of April (olympic team trials and pan ams). I still have not run the bottom drop, the biggest rapid on the course. I am a little worried I've been building it up to much in my head -- psyching myself out. But I don't really feel afraid of it. Not fear. Just nervous anticipation.

It's very good to be here.

No comments: