Sunday, August 12, 2007

N=kg•m/s2



What is a Newton?

It is a unit of force. Precisely, the amount of force needed to accelerate a 1 kilogram mass at a rate of 1 m/s2. Which is cool, because I am all about acceleration. But to me, it's also a piece of much needed gear made by Astral Buoyancy. Astral is a relatively small company making PFDs for paddlers and sailors. They have incredible customer service (after I pointed out you couldn’t see a certain feature on a product, they posted new pictures on their website within a day), and they have stayed creative (integrating hydration, highly flexible designs, breathable foam). They are also the leading company in producing less toxic, easily recyclable foams. So, I was pretty excited to tear open the cardboard box that came in the mail and pull out my new Newton.

Slowly, I am beginning to replace my gear. I just can’t afford much right now. My slalom boat is still in need of major composite work, and my most recent duct tape patches are already useless. Loading up the boats for practice yesterday, my C1 was sandwiched next to my roommate’s K1; the beautiful carbon-kevlar repair work on her stern was quite a contrast next to my taped bow. My booties serve as paddling for my ankles, but are entirely ridiculous as footwear. One piece at a time, I guess.

2 comments:

Alex said...

It's funny because if someone asks you how much you weigh, you can't really answer in kilograms because that's your mass...I mean, it works on the Earth, but if you went to another planet, the gravitational constant would be different...Didja know the English system uses mass units called "slugs?"

JMCook said...

So why you need a newton? Didn't you just get that other fancy red one with the fancy ninja knife?