Monday, June 11, 2007

Going up?



While I had a very productive weekend at work, staying in a hotel and being out of town killed my routine. Besides a short run tonight, I haven't trained at all for about 4 days. That doesn't feel very good.

Riding in the hotel elevator last night, I was struck by a thought. I am not very good at self-discipline. It has always been a weak point for me. But I have been a very productive person in my life... so how does that work?

I do possess a lot of passion - it flows easily and quickly for me, bubbles up forcefully whenever I meet a challenge. Over the years, I have become very effective at leveraging my passion - whether for work, school, or sport - as a tool to combat any lapse in self-discipline. Passion keeps me focused and committed; it provides the drive to get through the tedious, boring parts. And it works quite well.

But, I think if I want to really achieve all that I am capable of (I'm thinking about paddling right now, but I'm sure this applies to anything) I need to get better at the self-discipline part. Passion is incredible, and perhaps harder to cultivate, but passion alone ain't going to cut it if I am going to reach my goals.

No comments: