Wednesday, June 13, 2007

the sticky stuff



Last night, I recruited my siblings to patch my C1. We used an epoxy putty to fill the many gaps between the hull and the deck. We also used globs of it to attach a new grab loop to the stern to make my boat race legal. The process was simple: mix the two compounds together and it will cure in 60 minutes. You are supposed to wet your fingers before kneeding it, which works quite well. The moment your fingers start to dry you are suddenly holding a seriously sticky mess. Doing anything with my siblings is guaranteed to involve some goofy fun. My sister happily exclaimed, it's like "playdough for adults!" Except the toxic bit, of course.



The big white patches don't make the already beat-up boat look any nicer -- but if it no longer leaks, I will be one happy girl. We also tried to move the seat forward in my kayak. This is long overdue; in videos of my first races my bow bobs up out of the water. But in the end, it was too complicated -- corroded and inaccessible bolts, in a system not meant to be altered. This project may take some penetrating fluid and a power drill later on.

Today I head up to run the St. Louis river and check out the race site!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I told you epoxy was fun. It's also pretty cool to sculpt stuff out of it too, little figurines and such. You know, with the last little bits in the tube.