Tuesday, June 12, 2007

opening doors, connecting dots


many REI stores use ice axes, encased in clear plastic, as door handles


This weekend was a conference with the leadership teams from all of the Midwest district stores, making sure everyone is on the same page with the new training programs we are rolling out.

Once again, I am so glad I decided to continue to work for REI. My new position has thrust me behind the scenes of the company, and I am getting a whirlwind education on how a large business is managed - from the buyers, to merchandising, to product assortment, and the gear & apparel testing labs. Perhaps most importantly, I am getting to watch and participate in the self-assessment process of a rapidly growing company -- what are our values? ok, what practices do those values translate to? how can our growth strengthen our commitment to our values? The training programs I will be facilitating in St. Louis are part of the answer to that question: we invest in our people.

If my passion boils up with challenge, it's overflowing now. I've been handed some pretty big responsibility, we've identified some large goals, and my notebook for brainstorming ideas is completely full. I can't wait to actually see these training programs live & breathe in St. Louis.

Press release on 2006 growth
More about REI

No comments: