Tuesday, June 19, 2007

now we're rollin'

Jojo waded into the Carlton reservoir to hold my paddle as I practiced my hipsnaps. About 15 minutes later, I was coming up on my own. I think my brain had reverted back to a kayak roll torso movement, and the c1 is totally different.

While I can get myself up in a lake, trying the roll in whitewater wasn't successful. I think I fight the water too much as I try to set up for the roll -- pushing my paddle and the boat through the current in order to get into the position I am used to starting in. Hopefully I can tune this up over the next week before I head to Colorado.

Here's some video a friend took of me this morning. This one was pretty smooth:




But this try wasn't as successful. You can see how much my boat moves on the water as I set up. When my rolling motion isn't strong and clean, I end up bracing my paddle very deep to get enough leverage to get up:



No comments: