Sunday, June 10, 2007

Looed by the water



It's funny where you find your flow.

I crashed in Iowa last night, just south of Cedar Rapids. I didn't sleep well. My hip was aching from 4 hours sitting in the car. I kept tossing and turning, waking and looking out the window, waiting for the sky to lighten. Finally, at 8 am I got back on the road north.

Then I got lost in Waterloo. Not oh-crap-where-am-I lost, but simply misdirected. As I looped around to get back on the highway, I passed a sign for "public recreation area." This was followed by little icons of a snowmobile, ATV, dirt bike, and someone fishing. Fishing! That means water! Next thing you know I am on a gravel road, passing junk yards on my left and right, in search of any spot to get in my boat.

The pond wasn't much but I was thrilled. The dozen folks out drinking (aka fishing) already eyed my boat with skepticism but nodded back to a pleasant "good morning." The water was bordered by a small dirt levee on one side, apparently separating it from a wastewater treatment facility. But I figured the locals eat the fish so it couldn't be that bad. At least a dozen ATVs and dirt bikes were ripping it in circles around the small park. Good morning, Waterloo.

I felt flexible and powerful in my boat. My sprints were controlled and my hips and shoulders in sync. I just messed around for 30 minutes, but it made my day. That was the best I've felt in my boat in over a week.

Dropped off two slalom boats with Max in Cedar Falls, now there are just three riding above me. Onward!

All Iowa rest stops now have free wireless internet, by the way.

No comments: