Sunday, May 13, 2007

C1W - a class of our own



That's right folks, we had enough women in not only C1 plastic, but also C1 race boats and C2 race boats to make each an actual, legit class. Awesome! Here it comes!

This was great water for me. The Apple is very mild, but yesterday was my first day in actual whitewater in a C1 -- ever. It's just been flatwater and more flatwater until now. The wave trains and tight eddy turns were challenging, but a challenge I was able to rise to by the end of the weekend. After today, I feel ready to take a C1 on some runs on the Memorial Day southeast trip.

4th place, C1W plastic - I missed at least one gate on each C1 run, but I feel good about my performance. It was my first weekend in whitewater, geez.

3rd place, C1W - So I found the guts to race the green glass boat! So glad I did. And I know what I need to fix - I think I can win this class later in the summer. (Many things, one of which is setting my angle earlier, and then punching across the eddy line to turn up. Trying to cut gate 4 close I was turning on it and it would really slow me down.)

4th place K1W - I had my first 100% clean run ever! Wow! My mom told me she wanted a clean run for mother's day, so I had to deliver. My best times were about 10 seconds behind the winner of the class. Hailey, the speedy 13 year old, placed 2nd. She really knows where to place her boat's edges.

3rd place C2W - Susan and I missed a few gates but had a great time. We were both pretty exhausted by this run!

2nd place OC2 Mixed - Dave and I had a great run. I had so much fun in the OC2. I just let him call the turning strokes and I paddled my guts out. Mary (and Dave) took first and we beat out Jean (and Dave). I guess when you bring an OC2 you become a popular guy!

A few more pictures:
Three of the C1W class, right after our runs
A tricky set of gates, including the random gate 24
Susan and I power to the finish line
If you're going to hit a gate, hit it with style!

No comments: