Thursday, May 31, 2007

duct tape hull repair



Mr. asparagus boat and I are having a few relationship difficulties. When I strap it to my car it creaks and protests as the hull bends slightly. By the time I take off the river, it has taken on a few cups of water.

Mainly, it needs a new deck. Oh, and a new hull.

The seam between them is actually the real offender. It looks repairable -- but the hull is also covered in small cracks. It has been patched and repatched and slathered in excessive amounts of epoxy – I don't think one more layer would fix it. It needs to be sanded way down, then patched everywhere and re-epoxied. And I'm not sure I have it in me to spend so much time on a boat I hope to outgrow in a couple of months.

So it’s duct tape for now.

But I do love this boat! It is my first slalom boat and my daily companion on the Meramec. Way lighter than anything I've paddled before. But I can't help wondering... What’s it going to take to get me in a used short C1 this fall? Does such a thing exist yet?

1 comment:

Joel said...

I'm working on the short boat thing. It may take until the fall, but I am working on it.