Thursday, May 10, 2007

who needs kayak stackers?




I'm picking up a friend's slalom boat in Iowa, and so I'll need to fit 3 big boats on my car. Yakima or Thule kayak stackers would be perfect, but it seems stupid to pay for something so mechanically simple. Boats flying off my car at 70mph is bad news, though, so my makeshift stackers need to be bombproof.

My solution? Two decommissioned forks from crashed / imperfect bicycles, mounted to V2 tray heads. Without the boats on it kinda looks like someone sawed the forks off to steal my bikes. With the boats on the set up looks sweet. I really laid into the straps and it is extremely sturdy.

On a side note, Yak is now selling most of their rack components as "carbon free". Looks like this means both working to shrink their carbon usage and then offsetting the rest with credits. Awesome. Thule still rocks my world, hopefully they'll be on the bandwagon soon.

No comments: